Saturday, January 06, 2007

Caramel Popcorn

Well, it's been awhile since anything has been shared, so I'd like to start the rounds up again. Here's a recipe that I received recently from a friend, and since she only gave me the necessary ingredients, I've figured out by trial and error the best way to make this. So far, here's how it goes - and it works well.

You will need:

6 qts. popped corn (or 4 bags of microwave Homestyle
popped)
2 c. brown sugar
2 sticks of butter
1/2 c. corn syrup
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda

PREHEAT oven to 200 degrees.

1) Pop popcorn and put in a paper grocery bag. (you should also dispose of unpopped kernels, but I decided that's optional.)

2) In a MEDIUM to LARGE saucepan (this stuff expands!) heat brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, and salt to boiling.

3) Boil for 5 minutes, stirring.

4) Add baking soda and stir until blended.

5) Immediately pour caramel into paper bag over popcorn, and shake vigorously until well mixed.

6) Spread caramel corn onto a cookie sheet or roasting pan and place in oven. Bake for 1 hour, turning/flipping every 15 minutes.

I've found that all of these steps need to be done immediately, or it doesn't turn out as good. But it really isn't hard to make, and it tastes so great! I just apologize for not getting this out BEFORE the holidays. Maybe this will help enhance the rest of your winter! ENJOY!

No comments: