I made this Black Bean Pie recipe that I found on marthastewart.com and added a little bit of london broil steak and cantaloupe on the side to make it complete.
- 4 flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno chile, minced, opt. (I didn't use it)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed (or soak your own!)
- 1 1/2 cups water or beer
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish (I used cilantro, it was cheaper)
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (2 1/2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. With a paring knife, trim tortillas to fit a 9-inch springform pan. Use the bottom of the pan as a guide. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeño, garlic, and cumin; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add beans and water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until liquid has almost evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in corn and scallions, and remove from heat. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Fit a trimmed tortilla in bottom of springform pan; layer with 1/4 of the beans and 1/2 cup of cheese. Repeat three times, using 1 cup cheese on top layer. Bake until cheese melts, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove side of pan; sprinkle pie with scallions. To serve, slice into wedges.